Who we are

The Hewitson Library is part of the Presbyterian Research Centre, and is the library for the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa New Zealand.

Located on the same site as Knox College, in Opoho, Dunedin, the Library dates from 1876, following the appointment of William Salmond as first Professor of the newly established Theological Hall. In 1909 the theological collection moved into the newly opened Theological Hall at Knox College.

The present Library building was erected to mark the 1948 centenary of the Presbyterian Church in Otago and Southland, and was opened and dedicated by the Right Rev. Principal J. A. Allan on 12 Nov 1955. Due to an expanding collection it was agreed in 1976 to extend the Library as the centennial project for the Theological Hall. The new extension was dedicated and opened on 30 May 1984 by the Right Rev. Tama Takao.

Today the Library supports the Knox Centre for Ministry and Leadership and the Otago University’s Department of Theology & Religion teaching programmes, as well as the resident and non-resident members of Knox College, ministers and laity, members of the wider Church, and the public.


Where we are

First floor, Hewitson Wing

Knox College

Arden Street, Opoho, Dunedin 9010

Ph 0064 3 473 0771

Email hewitson@prcknox.org.nz

Find us!

Research

Online Catalogue

Approximately 2/3 of the collection is listed on the online catalogue (Koha).

Card Catalogue

The card catalogue still provides access to the Presbyterian, Paterson, New Zealand & Pacific collections, plus the Rare Books.

Information

Staff are available to help with information requests and can assist with literature searches and locating material held in other libraries. The Reference Collection is located on the Main Floor adjacent to the Office.


Collections

Theological Collection

This is the largest collection and its purpose is to support the teaching programmes of the Knox Centre for Ministry and Leadership and the Dept. of Theology & Religion at the University of Otago. It is also a study collection for the wider Church and members of the public. It includes a Reference Collection on the Main floor.

Presbyterian Youth Ministry Collection

A collection supporting the work of Youth Ministry.

Chrysalis Seed Trust Collection

This collection of art books and journals was developed around the theme of art and faith and is a very rich resource of religious art and thought.

A. S. Paterson Collection

This multi-disciplinary collection is primarily for the general reading and research needs of Knox College residents.

Journal Collection

Recent issues are on display; the main collection is in the basement.

Presbyterian Collection

This reference collection strives to be the definitive holding of all publications published by, or about, the Presbyterian Church in Aotearoa New Zealand. Accordingly this is now a very significant heritage collection telling the story of Presbyterianism in New Zealand from the beginnings until today.

Rare Books Collection

This collection contains a number of significant pre-1800 publications with the earliest English language title being a 1574 publication by Jean Calvin. Many of these books originated from the personal collections of former Theological Hall lecturers.

New Zealand & Pacific Collections

This collection originates from a donation of the Maori Synod. Titles about the histories of this region and related theological topics continue to be added to this diverse and multi-cultural collection.

Frank Glen Collection

A personal collection, which ranges broadly, with particular emphasis on military history, including chaplaincy.

Rita Mayne England Collection

"Doing theology with Asian resources" - the working collection of John and Rita England.

Hours

Mon - Fri: 8.30am - 4.30pm

Weekends and statutory holidays: CLOSED

3 Arden St, Opoho 9010, Dunedin, New Zealand.

03-473 0106 hewitson@prcknox.org.nz

Designed by Catalyst